Biographies  S-Z              A-G    H-R



Shane Saunders

Click here for obituary published in The Ringing World



James Gilliland Simpson

16.10.1865 – 10.10.1948


The Very Revd James Simpson was the Dean of Peterborough from 1928 to 1942.  He was ex-officio President of the Guild from 1928 after succeeding the Very Revd Arnold Page in the post.

James Gilliland Simpson was the son of the late D C Simpson, a merchant in London and Liverpool. He was born in London on October 16, 1865, and was educated at the City of London School and at Trinity College, Oxford, where he took a second in Classical Moderations, a first in Literae Humaniores, and, staying up a fifth year, he took a first in Theology in 1889. The degrees of B.D. and D.D. were conferred upon him in 1909. Trained for the priesthood at Cuddesdon, he was ordained to a curacy at Leeds in 1891 but his great capacity, both as a teacher and as a preacher, led to his appointment two years later as Vice-Principal of Edinburgh Theological College. Then came five years as rector of St. Paul's, Dundee, to which he joined the duties of examining chaplain to the Bishop of Brechin, followed by 10 years as Principal of Leeds Clergy School. His nomination by the Crown to be a canon of Manchester and rector of St. Philip's, Salford, came in 1910, when he had already been select preacher at Oxford the previous year.

His stay in Manchester, however, was not destined to be long, for early in 1911 his appointment as canon and precentor of Si. Paul's was announced. Here he remained until his appointment as Dean of Peterborough. 

His piety, deep learning, and eloquence led to a great demand for his services as a preacher, while his experience at two training colleges made his services as an examining chaplain peculiarly valuable, and he was ever ready to help to the utmost of his capacity.   His gift for quick and. sound decision is well illustrated by his action when, as canon in residence in St. Paul's on November 11, 1918, he was conducting the 10 o'clock service, he received word from Buckingham Palace that the armistice was signed. He seized his opportunity, mounted the pulpit and announced the fact to the congregation, and so made almost certainly the first public proclamation of the event in London. When later he received word that the King intended to come the next day for a public thanksgiving, he was able, thanks to his own capacity and the celebrated discipline of St. Paul's to improvise an impressive service that showed no trace of the haste with which it had been devised. His busy life as a teacher, preacher, and administrator left him little time for writing, and none at all after his appointment to Peterborough. Up to that time, however, some half-dozen volumes came from his pen at rare intervals, culminating in his exposition of Catholic Evangelicalism in 1927. 

He was twice married, first to Magdalen, daughter of the late Walter Shepherd, by whom he had two sons. She died in 1915, and in 1919 he married Winifred Mary, daughter of the late Revd S Berkeley.

Obituary from The Times Monday, 18 Oct 1948; pg. 6; Issue 51205; col D   Photo from National Portrait Gallery website



Richard (Dick) Speed

31/7/1926 – 22/11/2007

Richard Francis Bentinck Speed was born in Surbiton in 1926, and was educated at Eastbourne College and at Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge.

His ringing career started at Radley in 1943, where he was taught by Miss Marie R Cross. He was there because Eastbourne College was evacuated to Radley during wartime. A year’s tuition got him going such that he joined the Cambridge University Guild in the autumn of 1944 and served as its Master from 1946 to 1947.

He had already rung his first peal, of Grandsire Triples at Christ Church, Epsom, in 1945. By the time he left Cambridge he had rung 75 peals, many in hand, of which he had called some 20.

After leaving Cambridge in 1947, with a first in Part I, though this had declined to a third in Physics in Part II, he spent a year’s National Service in the army, mainly at Catterick, and army life left him time for more peal ringing.

When he left the army, he joined GEC, at Dollis Hill, Middlesex, where he was an electronics technician.  It was around this period that he became friendly with Anne B Stockdale, also of Cambridge University, and married her in 1952 at Berkhamsted and lived at Hampton Wick.  The successful marriage lasted until her death in 2006, and they had four very different children, all of them ringers for varying periods.  

In 1954 he was elected as a representative of the Central Council by the Middlesex Association thus beginning his very long membership of the national organisation.  He became an honorary member from 1958 – 1978.  He represented this Guild from 1977 – 1979, then again an honorary member until 1987.  He represented the Worcester and Districts Association from 1990 - 2004 and altogether attended 39 meetings.  He served in various capacities starting with the Beginners’ Handbook Committee; on the Peals Collection Committee for about 9 years; then the Methods Committee for some 6 years. He was elected to the Standing Committee and served on it for many years up to 1982. He was on the sub-committee which re-wrote the Rules of the Council. He served on the Ringing World Committee (when it was still a Committee) for some years and he and his wife Anne held and distributed the Council’s stock of Publications.

He rang his first peal, Grandsire Triples, at Christ Church Epsom on 30th June 1945. He rang 3-4 in what was then the longest length of Plain Bob Royal and of Royal on handbells: 10,080 Plain Bob Royal on 2nd May 1948. He was also a prolific composer at a time when computers were not available to check for falseness. Steven Ivin wrote that Dick was always prepared to read and reply promptly to lengthy letters about new compositions.  Dick had an encyclopaedic grasp of what had previously been published.  He was a master at discovering compositions for methods with difficult falseness, and ingenious ways of constructing true blocks, which could be joined up to peal length. In his turn, he had benefited from his contacts with Harold Cashmore, who was equally inventive.

They moved to Stretton-on-Dunsmore, Warwickshire, in around 1957-8, when Dick joined GEC’s Coventry office, where he worked until he retired in 1980. In 1964 they moved house to Hillmorton, on the Daventry side of Rugby.

The family became members of this Guild through the recently rehung and augmented bells of Daventry tower from 1965.  With Pat Chapman, Dick formed a band that rang very many peals including various Surprise Royal methods, new and old, which he composed and conducted. He was tower captain in 1973 and after disagreements with the Rector, became unattached members until 1980.   Dick was Daventry Branch Press Correspondent in 1973 and Branch Ringing Master 1973 until his retirement in 1980.

He had very little patience with anyone who made mistakes whilst ringing.  Some will think of him as brash and noisy – which to a certain extent he was on the surface; but underneath he was a surprisingly kind man, with a vast amount of knowledge and a great willingness to share it. Ringing was his great love, and he put a very considerable amount of energy into it.

From working as a physicist with GEC to taking over ‘The Lion’ at Clifton-on-Teme in a rural part of west Worcestershire was a very brave step to make.  They were good hosts at the pub in spite of Richard’s quirkiness. It was more of the older style of inn, a fairly large place, which did food as well as drink – in fact almost a coaching establishment, though not on any sort of route!  Being a lover of good ale himself he usually had a good and well-kept selection of beers on offer. Seven years of pub life were sufficient for them, and in 1987 they built a house in the pub yard.

With pub duties reduced he began to ring more peals again.  However, he fell down the stairs in 1993, and was unconscious for some weeks. After this in 1995, he rang only one more peal, Plain Bob Minor at Shrawley, his 732nd, but he did call it!

A service of thanksgiving and remembrance for his life was held at St Kenelm’s Parish Church, Clifton-on-Teme on Saturday, April 5, 2008. The church was packed with family and friends; ringers were well represented in the congregation. Central Council President Derek Sibson and RW Editor Robert Lewis were present, together with representatives from the old RW Board/ Committee (Howard Egglestone and Andrew Wilby) and the Ancient Society of College Youths. Dick’s son Jonathan Speed gave a moving address and grandchildren Alexander Speed and Barbara Speed gave readings from ‘The Nine Tailors’ and ‘Ulysses’. After the service Dick’s ashes were laid to rest in the churchyard alongside those of his late wife Anne.


Constructed from items in The Ringing World 2008 pp299, 300 and 437 written by Brian Threlfall, David Beecham and Stephen Ivin; CCCBR Biography http://bellringinghistory.org.uk/Biog_pdf/SpeedRFB.pdf; and PDG Annual Reports. Photo from CCCBR biography.




Barry Thompson

21.6.1940 - 20.12.2016


Barry died on December 20 evening at Northampton General Hospital.

After leading the Byfield singing item at the branch carol concert on December 7, he had a stroke the following day.  Since then he has suffered further heart problems from which he has been unable to recover.

Barry learned to ring after he and Pauline moved to Byfield into Fred Hutt's house. Intrigued by everyone mentioning it as "Fred's house", he decided to investigate and took up ringing in 2003. He has been successful in recruiting others to ring, and his own ringing progressed to five quarter peals with the peak of inside to Plain Bob Doubles in 2011.

Pauline died in 2014 and they had no children.  Barry's sister lives in Northampton and thanks go to Jackie Bailey for her attention to, and news of, Barry in his last sad days.

Barrys' funeral took place in a full Holy Cross church on Wednesday, January 4, followed by burial in the cemetery afterwards. There was a wake in the village hall.  The bells were rung open after the service and during the burial by the many ringers who were present. GHP   

See quarter peal here.


Derek Thornton

9.8.1925 - 7.5.2018

"The most dignified man I have ever known, throughout his life, Dad sought to help and gain the respect from everyone around him. He rarely complained about anything and found it difficult to say “no” to anyone". These were the words of his son Peter said at Derek's funeral on May 25, 2018.  

It has been my privilege to have known and rung with Derek since 1989 when I first went to Woodford Halse as a Chipping Warden ringer. Many years later I asked him how he got started and this is his story as told to me. 

He had been ringer in the Byfield area for 67 years, ringing his first bell in the summer of 1951 at the age of 26 whilst out with his best friend and brother-in-law Percy French one summer evening. They had called in to the New Inn pub (now the Cross Tree) at Byfield for a drink where they met and chatted with Fred Hutt. At the time, Derek was a railway fireman and Percy a guard on the newly nationalised British Rail. Fred Hutt was with a young locum vicar in Byfield that summer who wanted Fred to teach him to ring bells during his six week stay in the area. Derek and Percy were not interested in ringing but thought that if they went up the tower with Fred and the young vicar, they might be able to get a fine view across the village, so they duly followed. 

However, on their way down, and passing the ringing chamber, a very persuasive Fred managed to get them to step inside and have a go on the then, ring of six. And that’s how it all started. He quickly learnt to handle a bell and to ring in rounds. Not long after, he was asked to cover on the tenor for a touch of Grandsire Doubles. 

The next year (1952) he became a member of the Daventry branch at its AGM  and to this day has proudly kept all his old membership cards and photographs in safekeeping. Other Byfield ringers at the time were Fred Hutt (Captain), Bill Lewis, Cyril Nicholls, Jack Haynes, Walter Callow, Vic Perry (from Weedon), Len Catlin, Reg Fennell, Bill Steel (his uncle), Harry Catlin, Percy French (brother-in-law), Eric Catlin, In 1957, after a difference of opinion with the then incumbent regarding proposed changes to the layout of Byfield church altar, his Uncle Bill Steel transferred his ringing allegiances to Boddington tower, so Derek followed him, but continued to ring at Byfield occasionally over the following years. 

Maurice Bourne was the tower captain during this time at Boddington and was having difficulties with the tenor, which was proving some what difficult to ring. Bill Steel arranged for the apprentices at Timken Engineering, to make replacement housings and fittings as a test project.  So Derek, along with Bill and Maurice became involved with replacing the old plain bearings for new roller bearings with resounding success. 

During this early period of his ringing, Woodford Halse bells were unringable. They had not been rung for some years and had been allowed to fall into a state of disrepair with broken wheels, ropes and stays etc. By 1974, Derek lived in Woodford Halse but was still ringing at Boddington. He was approached by the new rector the Revd Hayden Smart to see if he would assist in helping them to get the Woodford Halse ring of five bells, back into working order. Derek advised that rather than replace the old frame with a new 5-bell frame, they should, for just £50 extra, buy a 6-bell frame as it would encourage other ringers to come along. Funds were duly raised, with a sixth bell being paid for by George Bird and his family. The ringing chamber was raised from the ground to its present position and details of the floor structure strengthened to take the weight of 12 ringers not just six, after Derek advised that if, and when they joined the Guild, they would be expected to hold Branch meetings. 

The bells were dedicated in 1975. The following ringers of Woodford Halse tower became members of the Daventry Branch. Gerald Smith (Captain), Alf Colley, Marjory Lock, Pam Edwards, Margaret Allen, Derek Thornton.  In 1978, the tower joined the Culworth Branch and in 1987 Derek took over as tower captain when Gerald Smith became a lay reader assisting Hayden Smart. In 1980, the 4th bell developed a crack. Derek and Roy Thompson removed and lowered the bell and transported it to Soundwell, Cambridge where it was welded at a knockdown price of £400. They then lifted it back into place and it has rung untroubled ever since. 

On May 21, 2011 Derek fell head-first down the stairs from the ringing chamber at Woodford Halse. Many thought he wouldn’t make it through that night, but he did. Although he was in an induced coma and gravely ill for many weeks he pulled through. He came back to continue ringing and enjoyed several outings and branch dinners with the Culworth Branch until he got into his 90’s and found climbing tower steps too much to cope with. Derek’s last ring was at Chipping Warden in September 2017. 

During WW2 he was sent down the mines but during his training he incurred a shoulder injury and escape being a Bevan Boy. This injury was to cause him difficulty later in life with his ringing as he had to lift his left arm up to the sally using his good arm, ready to ring. This was the reason that during his long ringing career, he only managed three quarter peals and never a full one. 

Derek’s other great love, after his wife Sybil, was the railways and specifically The Great Central Railway. He started as a locomotive fireman on the foot plates with British Rail – Central Section. Some years later he was to complete the training and passed the exams necessary to become a train driver, only for it to be cruelly snatched away from him before he got the opportunity to officially drive one. The announcement to close the line in 1966 came within weeks of him passing. He never forgave the government for this act. Derek should have become a railway historian as he knew so much about its history. He could still talk you down the line from Woodford to London Marylebone, naming all the gradients and junctions along the whole journey.  During a family gathering in the summer of 2016 he went to Loughborough to enjoy a day riding a steam train on the Great Central railway. The driver, learning of his Great Central legacy immediately invited him to ride on the footplate plate to the next station. It was a grand day for him. 

Derek also had a love of motor bikes. Into his late 80’s (he might even have been 90) he was driven pillion passenger around the Isle of Man TT circuit by his son as that year’s championship came to a close. They chased the safety car on its final check lap before it got handed back as a public road again. For more than a decade he served on the School Governors board, The Parish Council, the RAOB and was also very active in the Woodford Halse Church and of course as tower captain from 1987 to 2011. 

In 2013 he was proposed by the Culworth Branch as an Life Honorary Member of the Peterborough Guild of Bellringers and elected for his services to ringing. Derek was with us for almost 93 years, which is something to celebrate. He was a good friend to have. 

Geoffrey Stretton - Eydon Tower Captain   (Guild Newsletter September 2018)

See quarter peal here.


Charles E Truman

27.12.1930 - 14.5.2018

Charlie Truman, who died on May 14, 2018 at the age of 87, was for many years one of the leading ringers in the south of Northamptonshire.

He was born in Whittlebury near Towcester on December 27, 1930 and learnt to ring at St Mary's Church, Whittlebury in 1943 when the war time ringing ban ended. He was taught, with three other local youths (two sets of brothers in fact), by Albert Booth, Head Gardener at Whittlebury Lodge which has since been demolished. After national service in REME between 1949 and 1950, finishing his service as a Lance Corporal Craftsman, Group A, Class 1, he returned to the village. He married his wife for over 60 years, the late Joan, at Abthorpe Church in 1957. Their son, Paul, was born in 1961. Charlie played club cricket until the 1960's and then took up golf becoming a member of Stowe Golf Club for many years. He and Joan lived in Whittlebury until 2000 when they decided a move to somewhere with more accessible facilities might be advisable and so they settled in Towcester where they lived for the rest of their lives.

Having learnt to ring, progress was slow for a number of years until he came under the influence of William A Yates who was very active in local ringing in the early 1950's. He joined the Towcester Branch of the Peterborough Diocesan Guild under Whittlebury tower in 1958, rang his first peal, Grandsire Doubles conducted by Bill Yates at Whittlebury in 1959 and his first as conductor in 1962, Stedman Doubles at Grafton Regis.

By regular attendance at the practices at Helmdon and Wicken, which were local centres of excellence, he was able to extend his ringing to surprise minor and major, and during this period he developed an interest in spliced surprise minor. First Monday practices at Cold Higham or Pattishall initiated by Charlie and his great friend Jim Linnell, who was one of the brothers he learnt to ring with, gave him the opportunity to develop the spliced surprise minor repertoire and to call touches and peals and this culminated in a peal in 34 methods (perhaps the maximum at the time) at Pattishall in 1965 which he conducted. The augmentation of Daventry bells in 1965 to a fine ring of ten gave him the opportunity for 10 bell ringing and he also had some experience on 12 during the 1990s. His final peal total was 777 of which he conducted 76.

For many years he was tower captain at Whittlebury and from the 1990's ran the ringing at Easton Neston until he was forced to retire when his health started to deteriorate in 2010. It was fitting therefore that quarter peals in his memory were rung at both towers. Peals were also rung at Easton Neston and Bradden.

His funeral took place at Whittlebury on June 27, 2018 and he was buried in the churchyard alongside Joan, who had predeceased him by just three months, and his parents.

Graham Paul   05/06/2018

Click here for some of his peals and quarter peals

See special ringing here.




J Malcolm Tyler

31.10.1929 – 1.2.2010

John Malcolm Tyler, FRCO, ARAM, LRAM, was born on October 31, 1929 at Werrington, Peterborough.


At the age of 14 he became the organist at a Peterborough Workhouse Institute Church and at 15 became organist at Whittlesey, Cambridgeshire, where he learned to ring in 1948.  His first quarter peal was rung on March 13, 1949 and his first peal on June 4, 1949, both on the treble at Whittlesey to Plain Bob Minor conducted by F H Newman.


Other towers to which he was attached were Canterbury Cathedral, 1953-1956 and St John, Peterborough from 1967 onwards and where he was tower captain. He was a regular attender at Rothwell practices where he progressed to Surprise Major ringing.

Malcolm gained the Henry Smart scholarship (Organ) at the Royal Academy of Music. He held organist positions at Peterborough and Canterbury Cathedrals, and worked for a time in South Africa. Upon his return to the UK he became Music Advisor for Banffshire, and then for Northamptonshire. He is widely credited for founding the Northamptonshire Music and Performing Arts Trust, of which the Guild is now appropriately a Community Partner.  

 

He was initially a member of the Ely Diocesan Association and joined this Guild at St John’s Peterborough in 1966 or 1967, was branch organist for 1968-9 and maintained his membership of the Guild through St John’s even after moving to Weston Favell by 1970. 


After his first peal in 1949 for the Ely Association, he did not ring another until his first for this Guild at Warmington on April 4, 1968, after which he rang 46 in 1969 and many more. He rang in a peal of 60 Spliced Surprise Major at Rothwell on March 10, 1973. He circled the tower at Thornhaugh on July 7, 1974 and at St. John, Peterborough on September 13, 1975.  He completed the alphabet to peals of Surprise Major at Rothwell on December 27, 1974.  He rang his 200th peal at Earls Barton on October 15, 1976.  He joined the Society of Royal Cumberland Youths and rang a peal at St John’s Peterborough for that Society.


Malcolm was Master of the Guild from 1970 till 1979. Until work commitments as County Music Advisor curtailed his ringing activities, he was a very proactive Master, including organising at least one residential course for young people at Grendon Hall which included a rope splicing session. In readiness for the Guild's Golden Jubilee on January 5, 1974, he arranged for ringing at Rothwell by a chosen Guild band to be included in the BBC's Christmas Bells Broadcast.  He was elected a Life Honorary Member on June 14, 1980. He was one of our CCCBR representatives from 1971 - 1982 and an Honorary Member of CCCBR from 1985 – 1993.  His ringing never got going again after he broke his ankle falling on ice.

Whilst serving at the County Music Service he brought groups together for a number of successful “Northampton Nights” at the Royal Albert Hall, performing massed performances of works.  In 1991, Malcolm conducted a full congregation of singing ringers at St Martin in the Fields for the BBC Bellringers’ Songs of Praise programme. In retirement, he had a weekly classical music spot on BBC Radio Northampton and, for several years, produced his own Christmas Bells broadcast featuring local diocesan towers.


Malcolm died peacefully at home on February 1, 2010, aged 80. The Funeral Service, for family and close friends, was held at Northampton Crematorium on Tuesday, February 16 at 1.15pm. There was a memorial service, organised by Lyndon Hilling, at St Matthews Church, Northampton on Saturday, May 8, 2010 afternoon.


With thanks to Northampton Bach Choir website, Murray Coleman and CCCBR biographies.



Richard F Waddy

 12.1.1936 – 10.11.2018.

Richard Frank Waddy was born in Boughton, Northampton.  His parents were both anaesthetists.  He attended the local schools before going to Oakham School, where he kept a low profile.  He left at the age of 17 to serve an apprenticeship with Blackwood Hodge, Northampton and obtained an HNC in mechanical engineering specialising in hydromechanics. Richard learned to ring at Harlestone. 

After a brief spell running his father’s garage and agricultural contracting with his brother, Richard moved to Cummins Engine Company at Shotts near Glasgow.  He spent five years there before meeting and marrying Margaret Warren; they then moved to Cummins’ new plant in Darlington, where their daughter Fiona was born.  After a year they moved to Brompton-on-Swale near Richmond, where son Adrian was born.  After seven years, a brief spell was spent in Rochdale before moving to Cummins at Daventry and buying a house in Long Buckby in 1975.  For 10 years he was Manager of Engineering and Reliability for the Daventry Plant, travelling extensively to the USA and retired at the end of 1996.

In 1975 Long Buckby was an inactive 5-bell tower so Richard joined the Daventry team and soon became one of three with Hugh Johnson as Tower Captain and Peter Wenham, who went on to run it for forty years.  They kept Daventry ringing going after the leaders of the rehanging and augmentation to a super 10, left following a dispute with the vicar.  Richard was the tower correspondent almost immediately and remained secretary until March 2018, except for five years when he managed to delegate the job under his close scrutiny! 

Richard joined the Guild as a member at Daventry in 1976.  He was Daventry Branch Steward 1987 – 90.  He was involved with the augmentation to eight at Long Buckby and was a regular supporter of the tower and pub. He also acted as Independent Examiner for the Guilsborough Branch from 1992 – 2007.

Richard was steeple keeper at Daventry for many years and kept the ten in good order.  He initiated the installation of a dumb bell in the ringing room and his working parties installed ladders and handrails to make it safer to work on the top of the frame which is 15 feet above the bell chamber floor.  He also initiated the overhaul of the bells by Taylors in 2015 after 50 years of heavy use and, after some scepticism, agreed to their recommendation of fitting a wooden-shafted tenor clapper.  Tower Captain Hugh Johnson was unable to get up to the ringing room by the end of 2012 and Richard deputised and then took over.  Unfortunately Richard’s increasing illness prevented him ringing since July 2018. 

Richard rang 615 quarter peals: the first was Plain Bob Minor at St Chad’s, Rochdale on August 24, 1975 as abon voyage to Daventry and his last at Long Buckby on January 21, 2018.  He was a keen member of the Thursday night Woburn quarter peal team, where the majority were of Major but his list featured Royal, Caters, Minor and Doubles at Daventry, Weedon, Long Buckby and St Anne’s where his daughter Fiona lived.

He became a keen member of Mike Chester’s peal team, for which he was the organiser for several years.   He rang 251 peals which included eight in the USA and one on Lundy Island and 121 were with Mike.  His peals were rung in 75 different towers including 58 at Daventry. His first peal was treble to 42 doubles methods on April 28, 1979 at Upper Boddington and the last was Yorkshire at Ambrosden on March 10, 2012.

During his retirement he designed and fitted out a canal boat, enjoying many happy and long holidays with his family.  He also meticulously restored a Field-Marshall tractor that had been delivered to his father’s farm on  December 23, 1950, and enjoyed taking it to various country and steam shows.

There was a well-attended celebration of Richard’s life at Long Buckby Church led by the Team Rector of Daventry on Friday, November 23 followed by a wake at the Rugby Club.

Geoff Pullin with thanks to Margaret, Fiona and Adrian;  www.pealbase.co.uk and The Ringing World DVDs. 

Printed in The Ringing World 11 Jan 2019 p48.

Photo taken after Richard rang a quarter peal to mark his 80th birthday.

Click here for peals and quarter peals to Richard's memory.

Click here to see Richard's peals and quarter peals since 2005 from BellBoard.



Frederick Henry ('Eric') Walker

- 21.5.2019

We report the sad news of the loss of Frederick Henry Walker (known as Eric), a member of the Wellingborough Branch who rang at Wollaston. Following a request for all towers to ring in the millennium, a new band was formed at St Mary's Wollaston, and at the age of 79, Eric learnt to ring church bells. His tutor was the tireless Rex Line with assistance from Anne Hickling, Ivor Dickin and John Holmes. A team was formed and trained and did indeed ring in the millennium at St Mary's Wollaston.

Eric assisted with a big fund-raising effort to put in rope guides, change the bearings, refurbish the clappers and purchase new ropes. Under the guidance of Tower Captain John Beresford, Eric became quite proficient at the simpler methods and really enjoyed Grandsire. He liked ringing the bells and was delighted when a quarter peal conducted by Alan Marks was rung for his 80th birthday in 2000.

Due to health complications, Eric stopped ringing in 2011 but he was always happy to see the bells being rung for Sunday service and retained his membership of the Guild until the end of his life. Eric died peacefully in his sleep on 21st May 2019. The wollaston ringers and friends rang his coffin into the church for his funeral on 14th June 2019 and also rang him on his way to the Nene Valley Crematorium. A quarter peal of Plain Bob Doubles was rung in memory of Eric on the day of the interment of his ashes in St Mary's Churchyard Wollaston on Saturday 27th July 2019.


Thomas Couler-Brophy, Guild Newsletter September 2019


Click here for memorial ringing and here for the obituary published in the Northants Telegraph 



Iris R D Webb 
13.11.1926 – 4.3.2016

Iris Rosina Dorothy was born in Basingstoke and became qualified in book-keeping and business administration. She learned to ring and met Stan. They were married in 1950. Dot was born in Basingstoke and the family moved to Staverton, Northamptonshire in 1952 where Penny, John and David were born. In 1974 they moved to Oakham Lane where Iris set up the Post Office in the hallway.

Iris was a great support to the church, became a church warden and was known as the raffle queen! She was Secretary of the Daventry Branch from 1968 until 1985 (excluding 1981) and rang several peals and quarter peals. Staverton has a very handy ring of six established in 1938 by the Revd. Everard and Mollie Powell who also wrote The Ringers’ Handbook. Practices were well attended and became a local centre of ringing. The four Webb children were of course required to ring but lapsed over the years.

Iris was a founder member of the Northampton and District (now South Midlands) section of the Ladies Guild and Vice-President in 1977-8 and enjoyed their ringing holidays.

Iris taught school children to ring handbells. Iris, Stan and John Townley were founder members of the HRGB in 1968 and registered as team 43. When Sue joined the team, they could ring 16 bells, four in hand. Iris had some new handbells in the 1970s which had to be rung wearing white gloves. When performing at Turner’s Musical Merry-Go-Round, Stan sadly died on stage.

Iris took over as tower captain until February 2006, when her dementia was so severe that she was moved to Kilsby House care home. 

There was a private cremation in March and her ashes were buried with Stan’s in Staverton churchyard after a celebration of her life held on April 27. Before this service all four offspring rang rounds together (Dot’s first ring since 1966) with John and Sue Townley, who later rang a tribute tune four-in-hand. The well-attended service was led by the vicar, the Revd. Roy Kilford, assisted by the Revd. Liz Cowley, who Iris helped to induct in 2002. 

Quarter peals published are detailed hereGHP


John Webster

John Webster died suddenly on Monday, February 20, 2017 afternoon aged 68. He had been teaching learners in Uppingham on Saturday, ringing for Sunday services in Uppingham and Wing and had enjoyed Sunday lunch with family and friends. Then he died from a heart attack.

John had been Rutland Branch Steward from 2009.

Following a private cremation, a Service of Thanksgiving was held at Uppingham Parish Church on Tuesday, March 7. 

See peal and quarter peal here.

 


Peter Wenham  "P.D.W."

14.12.1927 – 6.8.2015

His father was on service in Hong Kong when Peter was born at Larkhill garrison. When three, the family began three years in Gibraltar. Peter left school at 14, during bleak 1941 and became an army apprentice armourer.

He learned to ring at Amesbury in 1944. His first quarter peal was Grandsire Doubles at Amesbury on August 30, 1945 conducted by Bill Theobald. Grandsire Triples followed twice, conducted by R T Hibbert and Charles Denyer. In March 1946 he conducted Grandsire Triples at Amesbury. He rang his first peal in November 1947 at East Tytherley, Grandsire Triples conducted by Frank L Harris. He only rang five peals, including two when in Tetbury which he appears to have forgotten when claiming the peal at Southam in 1982 as his first since 1947! His last was Grandsire Caters at Daventry in February 1988.

He soon began a lifelong habit of writing to the RW Editor: April 1946, combining technical and literary items; August, in support of a servicemen’s guild embracing ex-servicemen; in 1947, an inscription about backward rounds.

In 1948 he was drafted to Malaya with the Royal Artillery, then as a corporal to the Gurkha Rifles and as sergeant with the Royal Hussars. Here, Peter found a new life-long love - recreational flying - solo in Tiger Moths. He did not ring for 19 years. He undertook motor vehicle training and became a staff sergeant in 1954 in the Suez canal zone, where he started to enjoy instructing. He was moved to Cyprus in 1955 as acting Warrant Officer with an armoured car division where he lived under canvas.

His tent-mate knew a nice girl who did not have a boyfriend and asked if Peter would like to be her pen friend. Six months later, Peter met Mary under the clock at Waterloo Station! After approval by five of Mary’s aunts, they were married in March 1959 and lived in Slough. Out of the army, Peter found himself back on the shop floor. He said that without Mary he could not have managed this change from his military upbringing. On a course in Dagenham, he discovered that Ford needed new instructors at Langley, near Slough! He frequently thanked Henry Ford for looking after him as part of the Service Operations Review Team as Mary and he were moved to Windsor, Chester-le-Street, Tetbury and then Daventry, where Peter became chief instructor at the new Ford College until he retired.

In 1966 Chester-le-Street bells beckoned Peter to ring his first quarter peal for 19 years, conducted by Dennis Bayles. He also rang during business visits to Essex. Besides three more quarter peals, letters to the RW appeared, as did Susan, born in 1967 just before they were moved to Tetbury! There, a date touch of 1968, was followed by two peals conducted by Dennis Chapman. Nic was born in 1971 and a nearby gliding club distracted Peter into becoming a pilot instructor until they moved to Daventry! Even here, he was involved with the ATC, had a helicopter flight for his eightieth birthday and a glider flight early in 2015.

Richard Waddy brought Peter back to ringing and a quarter peal in March 1980. I reckon he rang about 125 quarter peals, frequently in and around Daventry. He conducted Nic’s first quarter peal in May 1988. His memory was getting worse, he even went home leaving his dog tied to a tree in Badby Woods. After a triple heart by-pass operation in 1996 his concentration improved. His penultimate quarter was in 2013 at Braunston in memory of Mary and the last was Plain Bob Royal in memory of Denis Pearson.

He introduced his many recruits to the wider fraternity of Daventry Branch but eschewed office except as Ringing Master in 1990 and a spell as press correspondent. By the mid-1980s he became active in ringing training and residential courses. He helped organise the CCCBR school at Daventry in 1991 and was course secretary at Sparsholt from 1992–2002 where the combination of instructing and contributing to pantomimes were just his thing. He also went to Grantley Hall, Essex, Moreton Morrell and Wantage. 

From 1987, contributions to the RW increased by epidemic proportions on a vast array of topics: recruiting, training, lightning conductors, emergency lighting and many snippets and rhymes by “PDW”. He began to write a series of pamphlets, as he needed them for his trainees. In 1996 Sally Thompson helped him publish them as ‘Bell Ringing in Instalments’, with donations going to the PDG Bell Fund. He was elected a Life Honorary Member of the Guild for outstanding service in 2004.

Peter and Mary took part in several outings and holidays and supported the 43-ers. Peter set up the Wednesday afternoon group ranging over adjoining counties in 1989, complete with urn and teapot. He ran it for 11 years until Pam Bailey helped out. He assisted the CCCBR with the Network for Ringing Training from 2001, participated in internet ringing chat, avidly read technical magazines and books, especially about flying and passed them out with his recommendation.

After retiring, in June 1992, Peter and Mary moved to Braunston, where he was invited to form a new band. He duly developed a very sociable group, whilst remaining a linchpin of the Daventry band. John Gwynne of the new band installed simulator equipment at Braunston in 1994. Peter set up special training courses to order and roped in his helpers. He developed the Monday afternoon club to train mature recruits for Ringing in the Millennium but it still runs, complete with tea and cake.

He suffered a physical set back after falling from the tower ladder in 2011. At his funeral the Revd Canon Sarah Brown said she first met him shortly after this and was amazed by his determination to continue as if nothing had happened! When Mary was suffering from depression and ill health he kept everything going. When she died, despite missing her grievously, he was back in the tower the same week and last rang on July 23. He clearly saw dying as his next project; almost an adventure to look for Mary. He left sooner than expected, weakened but sitting in his chair at Danetre Hospital. Peaceful, not prolonged, with dignity and without fuss. He will be missed. 

Geoff Pullin
With thanks to the Rev Canon Sarah Brown, Bob Cater, Steve Coleman, Alistair Donaldson, Sally Thompson, Mike Winterbourne and the CCCBR DVDs Ringing World 1941-70 and 1971-2000 in which the ‘find’ facility was easy with such a rare name as Wenham, that is until the Kent branch became very active! I didn’t have time to trawl all the “PDW”s! Photo taken by Carole Pullin at Barby in July 2010 – branch 5-bell striking competition.



George Whiting

1946 - 8.5.2015

You may not yet know of the sudden death of George Whiting, our very fit and strong resident tenor man at Higham Ferrers. He was fine when we went to the cricket at Northampton on May 4, 2015 and again when he came round to help celebrate my 70th birthday on the 6th, but the next day he felt unwell while supervising at a polling station. 24 hours later he was gone, it seems the result of a ruptured (not aortal) aneurysm.
The funeral was on Thursday, June 4.

Bob Dennis (posted in Campanophile)



Ernest E Whitmore

17.4.1913 – 31.12.1990

Ernest Edward Whitmore was born on April 17, 1913 in the Thrapston area of Northamptonshire. He was taught to ring at Raunds in Northamptonshire along with his brother Bill (William J), making a very good ringer, mixing with the well-known ringers around the Wellingborough area of that time. He and his brother rang their first peal on March 16, 1929 at Lowick ringing the treble and second to Kent, Oxford and Plain Bob Minor.  He rang a series of peals mainly on five and six bells until the second world war. In 1932 he rang at Epsom in a peal of Grandsire Triples comprising all Altar Servers conducted by R H Dove. He rang in Portsmouth before being demobilised in May 1946 from the Royal Navy and before the end of that year he had conducted peals of Doubles, Minor, Triples and Major for the first time for the Guild.

He was elected Master of the Guild in 1947.  He did not seek re-election in 1955 and was elected a life honorary member at the AGM.  He represented the Guild on the Central Council from 1948 - 1950 and attended 2 meetings.  He instigated the formation of the Culworth Branch in 1949 and revived interest in the Rutland Branch in 1951. The Summer Festival held in the Rutland Branch in 1952 continued ever since.

Ernest married Doris in 1953 and moved to Stanwick where he greatly helped the local band.  

After retirement he moved to Rothwell for a short time. Finally, he moved to Wainfleet St. Mary in Lincolnshire. He went into a nursing home in Horncastle in August 1990 and died there on December 31, 1990 at the age of 77.

Information from: Obituary by Ron Noon RW 1991 page 204; RW 1946 p 618; CCCBR ; RW 1932 p575,578 inc photo; CCCBR biography http://bellringinghistory.org.uk/Biog_pdf/WhitmoreEE.pdf



Frederick Wilford

15.9.1870 – 11.1.1937

We much regret to record the death of Mr Fred Wilford, formerly Secretary and later Master of the Peterborough Diocesan Guild, who passed away at the age of 66 years on January 11, 1937 at Chapel Brampton, Northants, where he had been living since retiring from the service of the Northampton Corporation Water Department. For some time past Mr Wilford had been in indifferent health. He leaves in bereavement a widow, with whom much sympathy will be felt

Born at Ringstead, Northants, Mr. Wilford went to Northampton in 1887 and served an apprenticeship as a plumber and then in 1903 he was appointed a water inspector under the Northampton Corporation.

He began his ringing career at St. Giles', Northampton, in 1897, at the time when the bells, having been rehung, and increased from eight to ten, a new band was being formed. He was then already a member of the choir and superintendent of the Sunday School. 

His first peal was rung in 1898, the first peal on the bells at St Giles'.  For this peal of Grandsire Caters, he rang on the tenor, and his first peal on an 'inside' bell was also Grandsire Caters in the same tower in 1900.  His first peal of Major was Treble Bob, rung in 1901, and in the same year he scored his first of Stedman at Bermondsey.  His first peal of Double Norwich he rang at Battersea in 1903. His first peal of Superlative was at Irthlingborough in 1904. 

In 1901 he was made foreman of St. Giles' belfry and held the office until 1909.  When, in 1905, the Central Northants Association was split up into districts, Mr Wilford was appointed Secretary of the Northampton District, and in the following year was elected General Secretary of the Association. 

He was largely instrumental in the transformation of the Central Northants Association into the Peterborough Diocesan Guild in 1924, and was elected Master. He held the office until 1935.  On his resignation he was succeeded by the Revd E S Powell. In October of that year Mr Wilford's services to the Guild were recognised at a special meeting at Northampton, when he was presented with a roll of notes and an album suitably inscribed, which contained, the names of 436 Subscribers. 

In 1904 he was elected a member of the Central Council for the Central Northants Association, and remained a representative of this Guild up to the time of his death.

Mr Wilford's services to Northamptonshire were, indeed, great.  He laboured ungrudgingly in the cause of the art, and his personal example was a great encouragement to all who had ringing at heart.  For many years he made a point of attending all the quarterly meetings throughout the district and often assisted, as a licensed lay reader, in conducting the services.   

He had rung about two hundred peals, of which he had conducted a considerable number, and was a member of the following associations:  Bedfordshire, Midland Counties, Yorkshire, Oxford, Kent, Middlesex and London County. 

The funeral took place at Chapel Brampton on Thursday January 14, 1937. 

Extracted from RW 1912 p117; obituary in RW 1937 p54; CCCBR biographical record http://bellringinghistory.org.uk/Biog_Image.aspx?RecID=903



Freda Patricia Willgress

19.7.1937 - 15.12.2015

Freda was the youngest of three children born in King’s Lynn to Sydney and Mildred Greaves. She attended King’s Lynn High School for Girls and was an active member at St Margaret’s church, where she was taught to ring by Norman Harding and went on to be Tower Captain. Having married in 1961 and moved to the Norwich area, she had two children, Ian and Alison, before moving to Essex and on to Rushden, Northamptonshire, where Freda lived until 2007 when she moved to Kilsby House Residential Home.

Her secretarial skills stood her in good stead – initially working in banking, then the chemical industry, and various local government establishments. She even made page 3 of the Daily Mirror while working at Dow Chemicals when they reported that her company bought her silk underwear from America (when post-war rationing still affected availability) – actually it was nothing more sordid that being a necessity so she did not cause a spark in the chemical factory! She enjoyed many activities and was a member of flower arranging clubs, Townswomen’s Guild and the National Federation of Women’s Institutes. On retiring early, she found time for watercolour painting, lace making and needlecrafts, and for tending her extensive garden.

But throughout her life, bellringing featured prominently. She taught both Ian and Alison to ring at an early age and encouraged them at every opportunity – she never thought twice about driving them around the country for Open Days, outings, to peals and quarter peals. She rang 97 peals and many, many more quarter peals, her last being on a ringing trip in the Rutland area in 2003.

Holidays were often based around ringing, joining local practices wherever possible. Freda also enjoyed ringing tours to Ireland, Canada, Channel Islands, the Isle of Man and Lundy Island.

Freda held office in several Guilds and Associations (both in branch and executive committees); in particular, she was National President of the Ladies’ Guild twice – still the only person to do so in the Guild’s 104 year history. She was among a group of ringers who raised funds for Peterborough Cathedral bells and subsequently was a founding member of the Cathedral Company of Ringers in 1986.

Even when she had moved to Kilsby as her illness progressed, she continued to make friends and Ian and Alison thank Tracy especially for her friendship, and to her and the team at Kilsby for the care they have provided throughout Freda’s journey. Freda’s funeral took place at St Faith’s church, Kilsby on 15 January 2016, where the sunshine shone through the windows on her throughout. Around 40 friends joined Ian & Alison for the service taken by the Rector of Nether Heyford before the family went to the crematorium. 

Several QPs and two peals were rung in her memory – the peal at Earls Barton (RW 5472, Page 252) was a new method named “Freda Surprise Major” as a mark of respect.    ARW


Bryan Williams

16.9.1931 - 25.11.2005


Suddenly Bryan Williams wasn’t there.  There were gaps in three quarter-peal bands; for a tutor at a Stedman Doubles training session; at Whilton & Badby practices; at Whilton Sunday ringing; for an organist at Norton and for the Secretary at the imminent Peterborough Diocesan Guild executive meeting .....


Bryan was born on 16th September 1931, just in England at Chirk Bank, and went to nearby Oswestry Grammar School. He started work at the NCB laboratory in Oswestry where he met Beryl and they both qualified as industrial chemists. They were married in 1959 and both taught chemistry at Hemsworth Grammar School. In 1963 Bryan was appointed Head of Chemistry at Christ College, a boarding school in Brecon, where they settled and raised two sons. Besides playing the organ and singing in the choir at school and the Cathedral, he took up ringing at St Mary’s, Brecon in 1977. He became Treasurer 1981-5, Master 1986 and Secretary 1987-1991 of the Swansea & Brecon Diocesan Guild.


After retiring in 1991, they looked for a new home to match their mutual interests of industrial architecture, and respective interests of gardening and ringing.  They ended up in 1993 at Whilton with a large garden and many nearby towers.  Bryan was soon ringing throughout the area and joined the local Daventry branch. Whilton bells were being renewed from six to a heavier eight and Bryan became involved in the project.  Whilst not succumbing to offers of a branch post, in 1998 he became Secretary of the Peterborough Diocesan Guild,  a post he undertook to the last pro-actively, accurately, fairly and meticulously.


Earlier he had helped teach a band at Builth Wells and taught a band alone at Norton, as well as being organist there. He supported many practices where he delighted in helping anyone, through the maze of methods and jargon. His long, clear, patient expositions were legendary. He supported training and the sessions that he ran were always crystal clear and interesting. He had a selfless enthusiasm for all he did in a modest, calm, supportive and reliable way.


Bryan was not a prolific peal ringer. He rang some 26 for the Swansea & Brecon DG. His first peal, treble to Plain Bob Major at Brecon, was rung on 23rd August 1980. He was elected to membership of the College Youths on 10th October 1984 for whom he rang three peals between 1990 and 1993. For the Peterborough DG, he rang thirteen more, of which the highlights were the funeral peal at Great Brington for Diana, Princess of Wales and the first on the new eight at Whilton on 7th September 1996 as a farewell to Canon Jim Richardson, who had united the eight parishes into the new Spencer Benefice and oversaw two bell restorations.  Bryan’s last peal was of Cambridge at Whilton on 19th August 2000.


Bryan was happier ringing quarter peals. He rang his first on 18th March 1978 at St Mary’s Brecon and another 240 in the same tower, out of his total of over 300, conducted four, before he moved eastwards. Then he rang over 100 more, many being surprise major methods. Bryan left Brecon too soon to ring on the ten at the Cathedral and whilst knowing the details, he hadn’t rung there. He claimed not to be a ten bell ringer, but did ring one peal of Grandsire Caters in Northampton in 1997.


He had written a book about two local church organs and was writing up his research into the history of the Central Northamptonshire Association and its predecessors, which became the PDG in 1924. In the meantime he had also researched a book on The Great Bell of Cosgrove, which is practically finished.


Bryan died suddenly on Sunday 13th November of a pulmonary embolism, having played the organ for the Daventry branch meeting at Kilsby the previous day, as he had done for many ringers’ services. Most were surprised to find that this apparently fit, upright, well built man with black hair was as old as 74 years.

Before his funeral, a nicely representative quarter peal of Plain Bob Minor was rung at nearby Ruabon, by five Peterborough DG officers and the Treasurer of the Swansea & Brecon DG, Paul Johnson, who took over the post from Bryan in 1986.


On Friday 25th November, Bryan was cremated, according to his wishes, at Pentre Bychan Crematorium, near his birth place. A simple service was said by Revd. Chris Goble of the Spencer Benefice, devoid of any singing in deference to Beryl’s dislike for it, whilst a similar service was said simultaneously at Whilton by Janet Bowers.


We remain contemplating and missing the great contribution that Bryan made to our ringing.


Geoff Pullin with thanks to Janet Bowers, Douglas Davison and John Hughes-D’Aeth.




Walter T Wilson

 1.1.??1873? - 24.2.1932

After his father's death in 1909, Walter Wilson carried on his father's old-established carpentry and wheelwright's business at Isham and neighbouring villages.  He was also chosen to succeed his father as Rector's churchwarden, and served the church in that capacity for 23 years.  He was also a school manager.

Walter took up ringing in 1907, when Isham bells were recast, augmented to six and rehung.  A band was started and struggled until taken in hand by Edward Chapman of Kettering. Walter rang his first quarter peal on June 30, 1907 – Plain Bob Doubles with an all local band.  The band developed by ringing a total of sixty 720s in various minor methods within the next year.  Edward Chapman called a peal at Isham on April 13, 1908, which was probably Walter’s first, and another in five methods in October.  The band continued to make progress with Maurice Atkins (the rector's son) conducting before he went to Cambridge University.  They rang date touches in 1909 and 1910 and in 1913 a local peal of four surprise and three plain minor methods.  Maurice returned after war service to conduct a peal of Plain Bob Minor at Isham on July 2, 1921 in which his sister Dorothy rang her first 'inside' and ringing the treble was Frances Cannan, who three months later was married to Maurice at Isham.

When, during the war, Walter was left almost alone in the belfry, he started a ladies' band which was most successful. His enthusiasm when his niece and adopted daughter, Miss Cecil Hepburn (as she then was) conducted a ladies' peal on the Isham bells was still remembered.  Since that time Walter's perseverance with young hands had kept a band together.  He had rung upwards of 50 peals - mostly of Minor in several methods until his last on October 4, 1930 again at Isham.  He considered peals without an educational motive, or for a specific purpose, to be repugnant.  

His chief delight was to arrange an afternoon tour of out-lying five and six-bell towers, taking two of his recruits on his motor-cycle combination, and in this way he had visited most of the towers within a range of 20 or 30 miles.

Walter was often consulted in rehanging schemes, when his knowledge of building and woodwork was of greatest use.  More than once he was able to allay a scare of the presence of the death watch beetle.  He was always endeavouring to prevent  recasting of good old bells and the breaking up of really serviceable frames, though he was the first to advocate a clean sweep where this was really necessary.

When the Peterborough Diocesan Guild grew out of the Central Northants Association in 1924, he was appointed Treasurer, an office he held until his death.  He was most anxious that the new Guild should be both diocesan in fact, and in name, and his association with ringers in outlying districts was partly instrumental in bringing more outlying centres into the Guild.  He was a man liked by all who came in contact with him, but he would not tolerate the type of ringer who regarded ringing as a kind of sport and was not a thorough practising churchman.

Walter had been in poor health for his last eighteen months, suffering from heart trouble. About six months ago he seemed to take a turn for the better, and it was satisfying to his friends that he was able to take a rope again.  His serious condition on January 17 caused the celebration of the wedding of his niece, Cecil Hepburn, to be very subdued and curtailed.  Walter was then attacked by influenza and although he had apparently recovered, he died in his sleep on the night of Wednesday, February 24, aged 59.

The funeral took place on Monday, February 29, 1932.  The body was brought in to church during a special memorial service on the previous night, for which muffled bells were rung.  The church was completely filled for the funeral service.  The Rector, Revd E J Atkins, officiated.  The ringers present included Mr F Wilford (Master of the Guild), the Revd R C Thursfield, Rector of Cranford (President of the Kettering Branch), Miss Thursfield (Secretary, Northamptonshire District of the Ladles' Guild), Miss Atkins (Vice-President of the Ladies' Guild), Mr P Barber (Secretary of the Wellingborough Branch), Mr R Adams (Secretary of the Guilsborough Branch), Mr R Abrams (representing the Orlingbury ringers), Mr and Mrs E M Atkins (Surrey), Mr and Mrs R Richardson (Surfleet), Mr W Perkins (Irthlingborough), Mr J Saddington (Burton Latimer), Mr J Morris (Warkton), Mr T Howell (Little Harrowden) and Mr A E York (Rothwell).  

As the coffin was carried from the church by four friends - Messrs C H Whiting,  George Johnson, E J Chamberlain and T Garley - the organist, Miss Mabel Eaton, feelingly played Mendelsohn's 'O rest in the Lord’.   After the committal a course of Grandsire Triples was rung over the open grave on the deceased's handbells by: W Perkins 1-2, E M Atkins 3-4, R Richardson 5-6, F Wilford 7-8.  Among the many flowers were wreaths from the officers and committee, Peterborough Diocesan Guild, and from 'The Isham bellringers’. Afterwards the whole pull and stand and muffled touches were rung on Isham bells.

Sourced from an obituary in RW 1932 p169, DVD of Bell News and The Ringing World, and the Surrey Association website: https://halfmuffled.wordpress.com/tag/e-maurice-atkins/

A quarterly meeting of the Kettering Branch was held at Isham on Saturday, April 22, 1932 with bells available from 2.30pm, service and the unveiling of tablet in memory of Walter T Wilson, late Treasurer of the Guild, at 4.15pm.

RW1933 p237




              Biographies A-G     Biographies H-R     Biographies S-Z 




Page last updated 25/7/2020

Page created 4/6/20 and Obituaries on two pages changed to Biographies on three pages.







Community Web Kit provided free by BT
Cookies and Privacy | Charity Number: 258271